Monday, July 9, 2007

Impressions of the Local Children of Askar Refugee Camp (2007)


Ashraf Fao'r
9 years old


I am from Askar refugee camp school for boys but I want to leave to the New Askar refugee camp school for boys. I have participated in the first, Second, third, and the fourth camp and I will keep participating in these camps till they stop doing them, and when this camp is over I am going to go to Al Safeer camp. I spend my free time playing games on the computer at my house or playing with the neighborhood's kids.

I love having internationals volunteers in the camp. I love all the internationals especially Adam because he plays with us and let joy into our hearts. I hate the Israelis very much because I am originally from Java and I have came to Askar refugee camp because the Israelis took our house in Java. I hope one day to go back to Yafa City because there is sea there and I can swim whenever I want. I want from the international volunteers to help me to go back there and I want from them to open another camp next year.


Abd Alwahab Joma'a
8 years old


I am a student at Askar's school for boys. When there is no summer camp I go to work or to help my father on making electrical signs. I love the Dabka's room very much because I love to dance Dabka very much. From the internationals volunteers I love pherozue, because he plays football with me and he keeps laughing with me. I dislike the Israelis because they are our enemies and the keep shooting at us, and once they shot my leg.

When the internationals volunteers go back to their home lands I want them to send me letters bye the mail, and I want them to take the Israelis out of our country because I can't swim in the sea because of the Israelis.



Mohmad Kreem
8 years old


I am from Askar Refugee Camp. In my free time when there is no summer camp, I work with my dad in selling vegetables. I love the international volunteers very much especially Andreas because he always plays with us football and I love football, also he always takes a pictures of me. I love the Drawing room and the Drama room. I am very afraid from the Israelis because they always fly with their big terrifying plans above our city and I can't sleep because of that.

I want from the internationals to keep visiting us and I want them to stop the Israeli occupation from attacking us. I also want from them to bring to my mother an identity card because she is from Saudi Arabia and she can not visit her family there.



Rahaf Alashakr
6 years old


I am in my first year at school. My father works as a taxi driver. When there is no summer camp. I usually help my mother in the household chores. I love the local and international volunteers because they play with us and help us to do whatever we want. I love Kate from the international volunteers because she plays with me and she makes me happy. I love the Dabka's Room because I love the Dabka and I love wearing the Palestinian traditional dress.

I am afraid from the Israeli soldiers because they took both of my brothers, and they always shoot at us. I want from the international volunteers to do another summer camp because I want to participate in it with all my friends. Plus I want from the international volunteers not to defend Israel because it hurts us. I wish that they can do a swimming camp for us.







Mohamad Abu Keshk
8 years old

I am in the third grade at Askar Primary School for boys. When the summer camp ends I will keep going down to the street to play with my friends. I love the Dabka's room very much because I jump around a lot in it and I do whatever I want. I don’t like the international volunteers that much because I can't speak English, but if I knew how to speak English I would love them for sure. I love Martha very much because she treats me very good.
I am really afraid from the Israelis, from the sounds of explosions, and I am afraid that the Israelis will take somebody from my family. I want from the international volunteers to tell the Israelis to go out from Palestine. I want to see the sea and I want to swim as much as I want in it





Manar Habroon
12 years old


I am at Askar Refugee Camp School for Girls. I have been participating in these camps for three years, and if there had been no camp I would have stayed at home to help my mother in the house chores. My father is dead and my uncle is the one who takes care of us.

I love the Drama room very much because I love to act and I do my role part in a very good way. I love all the international volunteers in the camp, and I am asking them to send me invitation to visit there countries. I am going to sign up my name to the next years camp and when I get older I am going to volunteer in this camp to supervise on the little kids.


Aseel Al- Ashkar
9 years old

I am in Askar Primary school for girls. When there is no camp I usually stay at home helping my mother in the household chores and that’s boring. I love the Sport room very much because it makes me feel really vibrant in the early morning. I love Pheruze from the international volunteers because he plays with me nice games. I hate the Israelis because they spread fear in our country and they shoot the Palestinians for no reason. I want from the international volunteers to teach me and the poor kids good things on their own expense because we don’t have enough money to complete our study.




Samah Atya
9 years old


I am from The Askar Primary School For Girls (UNRWA). I live in The New Askar Refugee Camp. In my free time when there is no camp I take my older sister's books and study them to prepare for my next year in school.

I love the Dabka's room very much because we learn in it how to dance something from our Palestinian heritage, plus we have so much fun in it. I love from the international volunteers Pherosue because every time I look at him he smiles to me and he has a really good sense of humor.

I want from the international volunteers when they go back to their countries to help the women I dislike the Israeli occupation because they kill people in a very large numbers and they take the men out of their homes in the extreme hot or cold whether without any clothes on and they torture them.

No comments: